Friday, November 23, 2012

Ancients - the Bits that I Like

That could have been more gracefully phrased. Nonetheless - there is stands. The current state of play on my ongoing struggle with wargaming butterflies:

I'm still really like the look of the various Garrison ranges. Looking around on Ross's blog it seems to me that they are all broadly compatible. With one eye closed and with a following wind. Garrison service (ie, delivery time, unexpected extras, friendly comms and so on) is very good indeed. I note that the 20mm Ancient Phrygians I have are actually about 23-4mm to the eye, yet they still seem not out of place next to the 30mm (nominally) Rose "Heritage" Greeks that I now have 24 of.

I could easily go down the Greeks/Achaemenid Persian/Macedonian road.

I also rather like the RAFM Hellenistic ranges. There is also plenty you could pull in from the Ral Partha range. Quite pricey at $2.50 per figure, but there are bargains to be had on eBay. I would put the Macedonian/Successor period as my number one preference at the moment as you can pull in so much other cool stuff. Again, the Garrison Successors are cool with plenty of variety.

I've been having a seried of "ooo, pretty" moments this week at the Mirliton website. Especially after noting you can get 10% off your order if you buy 100 figures. Their Republican Romans, Etruscans , Apulians and others are very, very attractive. Especially after just reading in Charles Grants Ancient Scenarios book that he thought you could do a reasonable job at a legion with 60 figures.

Did I mention also the stash of Xyston1:600 galleys I found in my desk drawer a couple of days back> Probably not. And that's another tangent in itself.

The trick is how to do all these things (and, let's face it, buy at least 1500 wargames figures. At least.) and somehow tie them altogether.


1 comment:

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Dangerous waters you're swimming through currently, my dear de Latte. Extremely dangerous!

Best Regards,

Von Tschatschke